A smart grid is an electricity network based on digital technology that is used to supply electricity to consumers via two-way digital communication. This system allows for monitoring, analysis, control and communication within the supply chain to help improve efficiency, reduce energy consumption and cost, and maximize the transparency and reliability of the energy supply chain. Smart Grid enables monitor and measure all power flow across the system continuously.
- Improve reliability of supply to all consumers – no power cuts.
- Better quality power– no more voltage stabilizers
- Users friendly and transparent interface with utilities
- Provide options for renewable generation integration to grid
- Options for prepaid connection
- Better control over electricity bills by utilizing ToU/ToD Tariff
- Reduction in AT&C loss
- Help identify and reduce outages
- Save energy by intelligently controlling loads such as street lights
- Reduce meter reading errors
- Enables online visualization of energy consumption at consumer level
The deployment of smart grid technology will result in transforming of present grid into a marvel with many benefits as indicated and there will be improvement in two way interaction between consumer-utility.
The Smart grid pilot would provide opportunity to consumers to use the electricity in an efficient way, participate and avail incentives that would come along, be power source by opting to install roof top solar. The SG technologies do not pose health hazards.