About Demand Side Management (DSM)
- For the first time in India, BESCOM started Demand Side Management activity on 05.11.2007.
- Demand Side Management is a utility program aiming to fine-tune consumer’s energy consumption pattern according to the utility’s energy demand and distribution capacity without compromising consumers comfort.
- Demand Side Management relies on a combination of using high efficiency equipment and efficient use of electricity through good operating practice.
- Demand-Side Management is the implementation of policies and measures which serve to control, influence and generally reduce electricity demand.
- Reliability and Stability:
- DSM provides enhanced reliability to the energy system by reducing overall demand through energy efficiency and by reducing peak demand through dispatchable programs.
- DSM reduces transmission and distribution costs relative to a supply side resource.
- DSM increases diversity of energy sources.
- Low Cost and Affordability:
- The DSM programs are technology specific and vary relative to other supply side resources.
- Dispatchable DSM programs can be are called when their cost is lower than alternative market purchases.
- DSM programs can also help low-income customers to reduce their energy costs
Types of DSM Programs:
Following three factors reduce energy consumption (kWh) and peak demand (kW), however, emphasis differs.
- Energy Efficiency-emphasis is on reducing overall energy consumption and also peak demand over several years.
- Peak Load Management – emphasis is on reducing peak demand consistently over a season.
- Demand Response – emphasis is on reducing peak demand for short periods of time for a few days during the year.